Friday, September 9, 2011

Weekend Peek In #5

Are you ready for Week 5 of Share the Gift? Here is this week's reader's question:

When you sit down to write, do you have a little ritual you perform or have something like a troll doll for inspiration?

I'll admit, when I attended the Christian Writers Guild Writing for the Soul conference in Denver last February, I brought along a few good luck charms. My novel Delivery was one of five finalists in the Operation First Novel contest, and as I sat at the opening session waiting to hear which finalist would win, my sweaty hands gripped a silk red carnation (compliments of my daughter Abby Bannister), an heirloom hankie (from my dear friend and flower shop co-worker Kaye Schmidt), a four-leaf clover keychain (from my BFF Linda Weatherly), and two buckeyes (one that belonged to my grandma and one that is my mother's).

Delivery came in second place that night. Although I have never really believed in good luck charms, clutching special items from loved ones calmed my jitters. I know my comfort came not from the inanimate objects, but from the love and support they represented.

So when I sit down to write, I don't look to any physical item for inspiration. Instead, I seek the ultimate support. I pray. If words don't flow, I often head outside with my camera to take a closer look at God's creation. And I pray some more. Since my writing goal is to share stories that connect with readers' lives, that touch their hearts, that stick with them long after they finish the final page, I go straight to the top for inspiration--to the Master of touching lives.

With Delivery's recent release, He's blessed me far more than any good luck charm could, and I want to share my blessings with you! That's why I'm hosting my Share the Gift Double Kindle 3G Giveaway. Please check out details on the "Contest" menu item above. One fortunate reader will win a Kindle 3G to keep and a Kindle 3G for a recipient of choice--just in time for Christmas. Enter daily because the winner could be YOU!

Now it's YOUR turn. What ritual do you perform before you begin an important task? Where do you look for inspiration? I look forward to reading your answers in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment